Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Out-of-date Driver's License Pictures

Dear Out-of-date Driver's License Picture,

Remember the time you looked like me? I was 15, and I had just gotten a permit. Now, more than a decade later, your image is still my ID. When the government demands answers, your face attempts to provide them. Has this caused issues? Surely.

After all, we look nothing alike.

You were young. I am gray. I am wrinkled. Well, not yet, but someday I will be, and I'll have an out-of-date picture then too. Sometimes I feel older than every single picture of me...I'm not sure why though.

The other problem, of course, is you were taken during Arab-appreciation week and I happened to be wearing a turban in it. I also had a fake beard, although I can't pinpoint the exact reason for it. It's funny how life's minute details become so hazy to us now. I wouldn't even remember the beard if it hadn't been immortalized on a plastic card.

Indeed, I don't look exactly like you do. Different hair color...nose job...ear reduction...face tattoos. You have complicated my life, out-of-date driver's license.

When the government wants answers, you just give them plenty more to question.

I applaud your memory and curse your presence.

Sincerely,

My Current Face

1 comment:

  1. My license has said I was blonde all my life, because I was blonde when I got my first license. (Of course now nature is making me blonde again!) It also said I weighed 105 pounds. I lied and added 5 pounds so if someone read my info they wouldn't think I was skinny. Now my license is about 10 pounds the wrong way! I still like my picture. It looks just like I think I do when I look in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete